IMPROVE THE WAY YOU COOK
During summer, when we used to go to grandma’s house for vacations, we used to walk in the afternoon, our grandmother showing us the walnut trees with their branches loaded with fresh nuts.
Today, we choose to consume a handful of nuts every day, because we know they help our health in so many different ways, but also because they are simply delicious.
Fresh from the garden
They are at their best during autumn and winter. In Greece, they are collected in August.
- They contain vitamin B6
- Omega- 3 fatty acids
How are they good for us
- Protect the heart and arteries
- Offer protection against cholesterol
- Protect bones
- Help burn fat
- Strengthen brain functioning
- Consume up to 7 walnuts a day and stay in shape.
- Store them in a dry and cool place, or in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Fast meal with walnuts
- Break a few walnuts in a yogurt and drizzle with honey. The most energizing and healthy snack!
- Prepare a plateau with fruits and cheese: Pear, apple, grape, Horio Graviera cheese and a few crushed walnuts on the side.
Recipes with walnuts
- Raisins and walnuts cake with orange glaze
- Skaltsounia with honey and walnuts
- Banana-walnut & raisin muffin
- Baklava Rolls
- Molasse Greek halva
- Orange, couverture and nut Cake
- Grandma’s Walnut pie
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Simple chocolate cake
- Stuffed treats from Cyclades
- Traditional Greek Walnut and Honey Cake
- Sweet Crepes with biscuits, banana and marmalade (by Elias Mamalakis)
- Baklavas with honey