IMPROVE THE WAY YOU COOK
Our beloved potatoes – they give us taste, along with all the necessary ingredients.
Bake them, fry them, boil them, mash them, make them soup, cook them with or without skin. Apply some butter, sprinkle with feta or graviera cheese, with oregano or many other herbs, with red and black pepper and fresh spices. One thing is for sure: they can be part of any recipe and make everyone’s day.
Nevrokopi and Naxos are the most famous potato-producing areas in Greece, due to their climate.
Many will blame potatoes because of carbohydrates, that are associated with weight gaining. If one sticks to normal portions without being excessive (fries potatoes in less oil, doesn’t indulge in one too many potato chips), then one can enjoy potato’s nutritional values.
Let’s find out more about potatoes:
Fresh from the garden
Potatoes are at their best all-year round (in Greece).
Nutritional value – how it is good for us
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Potatoes help our well being
- Provide us with energy
- Help digestion
- Have antioxidants
- Protect immune system
- Help in the composition of proteins
- Protect muscles and nerves
- Protect cardiovascular system
Ask your grocery store about potatoes’ varieties. Some are ideal for frying, others for baking, others for all use.
Fast potato meal
Preheat the oven, thoroughly wash some potatoes and carve them lengthwise, without peeling their skin. Apply some Horio butter in the cut, sprinkle with herbs and spices and bake in pan covered with cooking parchment.
Otherwise, wash potatoes and cut them in thin slices, without unpeeling them. Spread on a pan covered with cooking parchment, sprinkle with herbs and spices and bake some really healthy and tasty potato chips!
While still warm, grate some Horio feta or graviera cheese.
Recipes with potatoes
- Cuttlefish and Calamari Burgers with oven-baked potatoes
- Homemade doughnut balls with potatoes and eggs
- Honey-glazed oven potatoes
- Omelet with eggplants, potatoes and sausage (ideal for sandwiches)
- Lamb with potatoes
- Potatoes Au gratin with bacon
- Mashed Potatoes
- Spicy potato salad
- Velours vegetable soup
- Juicy sea bass with vegetables
- Traditional meat pie without phyllo
- Potato salad with octopus
- Sea breams in the oven with vegetables
- Roasted vegetable casserole (Boutrida)
- Stuffed baked potatoes with Mediterranean-herbs infused white cheese
- Artichokes with peas