IMPROVE THE WAY YOU COOK
Ready in just a few minutes and very easy to make, the tomato sauce we prepare at home will give any recipe a rich aroma and flavor.
We’ll use it in homemade pizzas, vegetable or sausage tarts, we will spread it all over the chicken, over fried potatoes with grated graviera cheese, we will dip meatballs in it or serve pasta with it. It just goes anywhere and makes it up for you with its impeccable flavor and aroma.
Depending on how spicy and aromatic we prefer our sauce, we can adjust the amount of garlic, onion, chili peppers and herbs each time. It is a matter of taste!
We will need
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Horio Koroneiki variety olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Oregano, basil, and thyme to taste
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 chopped onion (optional)
- 1 chopped garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup TOP white vinegar (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional – it thickens our sauce better)
- Peel the tomatoes and grate them, or blend them for a few seconds. Don’t mash them entirely.
- Put olive oil in a saucepan and let it warm up. Add, at this stage, onion and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and, if desired, tomato paste, along with the vinegar.
- Spice and add the sugar. Let the sauce cook for 15-20 minutes, until it thickens and liquids have evaporated. Mix gently. Test to see if you want extra salt and pepper.
- Before the end, add herbs and stir.
Tip: We can add hot chili peppers for a more spicy taste, or colored peppers.