IMPROVE THE WAY YOU COOK
Two or three drops of this magical fruit will immediately transform and enhance flavor!
Lemon is one of the protagonists of the Mediterranean diet. It is used during cooking to balance the taste of food and its juice complements seafood, roasts, salads, vegetables.
Savory and sweet recipes (lemon cream, lemon pie) are based on the properties of our favorite fruit – we can also make lovely homemade lemonade and enjoy whenever we feel like it.
Let’s look at the values of lemon!
Fresh from the village
Lemons are at their best during autumn and winter, but are available all-year round.
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Pantothenic acid
How is it good for us
- Helps absorption of iron
- Boosts immune system
- Has antioxidant activity
- Boosts metabolism
- Helps digestion
- Improves health of hair, skin, teeth
- Has antibacterial action
- When choosing lemons, pick the ones with a relatively thin skin, since they produce more juice. They should have a nice yellow color – the ones with green patches are more acidic and not mature enough. The very ripe ones will have soft spots and dull skin.
- Keep them fresh for about a week at room temperature in a dark spot. They last for about four weeks in the fridge.
- Lemon juice can be stored. Place the freshly squeezed juice in ice cube trays, freeze and then store again in food bags. Lemon zest can also be stored: dry and store in an airtight container in a dry and cool place.
- To get more juice from the lemon, roll it with your palm on a surface. It produces more juice when warm, so leave at room temperature before using.
Quick meal with lemon
- For a tasty salad dressing, mix lemon juice with olive oil, crushed garlic and pepper.
- Cool refreshment: squeeze lemon juice and mix with a little bit of soda and ice – and, if desired, some mint leaves for extra aroma.
- Express meal: In a bowl mix rice, chicken, Horio graviera cheese, spring onion, peas or corn and lemon juice.
- Prepare fried cheese (saganaki) with Horio feta or graviera cheese and squeeze lemon over it.
Recipes with lemons
- Lemon cream on biscuit with cheese cream and strawberries
- Lemon Bars with buttery biscuit base
- Sweet Avocado and Lemon Muffins
- Spinach risotto
- Wine-flavored chicken with pasta and lemon sauce
- Beef casserole with rice, lemon and Horio Graviera cheese
- Chicken with lemon and feta cheese
- Chicken with lemon, oregano and Horio feta cheese
- Greek countryside lemon pie by Elias Mamalakis
- Chicken Soup with Avgolemono (Egg and Lemon) Cream
- Greek meatballs in vine leaves with egg and lemon sauce – Giouvarlakia