INGREDIENTS For the dough 600 gr wheat flour 180 gr Horio sheep butterfat (for a lighter version choose Horio cow butterfat) 150 gr sugar 3 egg yolks A pinch of salt ½ tsp crushed anise ½ tsp orange zest 35 gr fresh yeast ½ cup warm milk
INGREDIENTS For the stuffing 100 gr minced walnuts 100 gr minced roasted almonds 100 gr yellow raisins 4 tblsp. brandy or rum ½ tsp. cardamom ½ tsp. cinnamon clove powder 1 grated apple 4 tblsp. jam 1 ½ tsp. corn flour 1 tblsp. Horio sheep butterfat
- Sift the flour over a bowl.
- Form a crater in the center of the flour and add the melted Horio sheep butterfat, the sugar, the egg yolks, the salt, the anise and the orange zest.
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and add the mixture to the other ingredients.
- Stir the mixture well and begin to knead, gently folding the flour from the edges of the bowl inward.
- Pour, while kneading, ½ cup (or as much as it needs) warm water.
- Knead for ½ an hour.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in a warm place for 3 to 4 hours to let the dough rise.
- Knead again just to let the dough air out and lay the dough on a surface with a rolling pin or your hands and shape a rectangle.
- Mix the ingredients of the filling and spread the filling along the rectangle; roll the dough so that the filing is at the center
- Grease a round or oblong baking tray with some butter and place the roll with part where the roll seals facing the bottom
- Brush some milk on the top of the roll and sprinkle with anise; bake for 45 to 50 minutes in a preheated oven at 220 degrees.