INGREDIENTS 1 liter of milk 1.5 cups sugar 1 cup fine semolina 6 eggs 50 gr Horio butter Corfu type 1/2 tsp. orange zest 1/2 tsp. lemon zest 1/2 kg phyllo sheets Extra Horio butter Corfu type for the sheets 2 cups sugar 2 cups water 1 slice of lemon 1 cinnamon stick 2 cloves 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Place the milk in a pot and heat until it starts boiling. Add the semolina and stir until it thickens.
- Remove from heat. In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar and the orange zest and the lemon. Slowly pour in the milk. Add the Horio butter Corfu type and stir well. Cover with a wet towel (to avoid forming a thick layer over the cream) and let it cool.
- Grease a medium rectangular or round baking pan with butter. On the bottom of the pan, spread half of the phyllo sheets and apply Horio butter Corfu type in every single sheet. Pour in the cream and fold the sheets over. Cover with the rest of the phyllo sheets, after you have buttered them all. Carve square shapes on top of the phyllo and sprinkle with a little water.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup: Boil the sugar, the water, the lemon slice, the cinnamon and the cloves for 5-6 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and the clove, add the lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the galaktoboureko as soon as you remove from the oven
- Let it cool, cut it into squares and serve.