INGREDIENTS 40 large vine leaves – fresh or kept in brine 1 kilo beef mince 1 big onion, mashed 1 tbsp finely chopped dill 3 finely chopped spring onions 1/2 cup Carolina rice 2 cups broth from boiled beef a medium lemon’s juice 2 egg yolks 2 tbsp Horio Cow Butter Salt, pepper
- Wash vine leaves and put them in a pot with boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove vine leaves from the pot and drain them.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except for the broth and the butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mold, until all ingredients are unified.
- Place vine leaves, one by one, on a clean surface, making sure their shiny side is atop.
- Fill every vine leaf with ½ tbsp of the mixture and roll tightly, folding edges inwards – making sure the mixture won’t spill.
- In a shallow pot, put giouvarlakia very close to one another. Cover them with a plate to keep them from opening while boiling and add the broth, in which the butter has been added. Boil for 20 minutes approximately.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks with lemon juice and keep mixing while adding juice from the pot where giouvarlakia are being cooked.
- When egg and lemon juice is ready, slowly add it in the pot, after removing it from heat.
- Place the pot on the heat right away, just for a little while. Once giouvarlakia are slightly cooked, hold the pot form its handles and stir.
- Serve right away.