INGREDIENTS 3 cups lentils 1 ½ cup basmati rice 9 cloves of garlic 6 medium sized onions 3 tblsp Horio Tomato paste 3 ½ cups Horio Koroneiki variety olive oil 2 bay leaves cumin salt and pepper
- After having cleaned and rinsed the lentils in a strainer, put them in a pot, add water until covered, and boil them for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Strain the lentils and rinse them again with plenty of water. Put them again in the pot filled with 5 cups of water and boil them on medium heat for about 15 – 20 minutes (depending on how easily they get boiled).
- In a nonstick frying pan, add Horio Koroneiki variety olive oil and sauté the onions and the garlic chopped for 5 minutes, until they turn golden.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Get the pan off the heat, and transfer the rice to the pot with the lentils.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, tomato paste, bay leaves and water (depending on how clotted we want them to be). Cover it and boil over medium-low heat, for about 20 – 25 minutes. While boiling, keep stirring until the mixture remains with the least of its fluids.