INGREDIENTS 5 eggplants 500 gr minced meat 1 large finely chopped onion 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 glass of red wine 1 can of tomatoes, finely chopped or juice 1 cinnamon stick 1 tsp oregano 100 gr Horio Graviera Long Maturation or another hard yellow cheese (like kefalotyri), grated Horio Classic olive oil Salt Freshly ground pepper 2-3 tsp finely chopped parsley
INGREDIENTS For the béchamel 100 gr flour 100 gr Horio cow butter 900 ml milk (3 & ¾ cup) 2 egg yolks A pinch of nutmeg
- Cut eggplants in half and slice their flesh crosswise. Let them dry in a colander for half an hour.
- Preheat oven at 200C.
- Season eggplants with salt and pepper and sprinkle with Horio Classic olive oil. Place them skin looking upwards on a pan layered with parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Place onion in a large pan over medium fire with Horio Classic olive oil and sauté until soft. Sauté garlic as well.
- Increase heat and add minced meat with a ladle, mix and sauté. Finish with wine and wait for 1-2 minutes until it evaporates.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon stick, a pinch of sugar and oregano and let boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until most liquid evaporates.
- Close to the end, add 1-2 handfuls of grated cheese and parsley and mix well.
- For the béchamel: Melt 100 gr Horio cow butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour, constantly mixing. Then, add the milk, mixing again intensely.
- If sauce needs to thicken, simmer over low heat while mixing.
- Remove pan from heat, add egg yolks and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Whisk vigorously, so that eggs won’t turn into an omelet.
- Spread eggplants on the pan, their skin looking downwards. Remove some of the flesh. Sprinkle with cheese and fill them with meat sauce. Spread béchamel on top and again, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake eggplants papoutsakia at 180C for 20 minutes, until nicely colored.