INGREDIENTS For the filling 5 green apples (approximately 1 kilo and 200 gr) 2 tsp lemon juice 3 tbsp Horio cow butter 2 tsp grated cinnamon 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup TOP apple cider
INGREDIENTS For the dough 1 packet dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp) 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup sugar 1 tsp salt 1 tsp grated cinnamon 1/2 cup full fat milk 2 slightly beaten large eggs 1/3 cup softened Horio cow butter Vegetable oil for frying
INGREDIENTS For the glaze 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar 3-4 tbsp milk 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel and deseed apples and slice in small pieces. Put them in cold water with 2 tbsp lemon juice to keep them from browning. Keep them in the water with the help of a parchment paper.
- Leave aside or refrigerate for 24 hours max.
- For the dough: With a mixer beat yeast, 3 cups of flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. In low speed, add milk and then eggs. Mix for another 2-4 minutes.
- While beating, add 1 tbsp Horio cow butter at a time. If dough is too runny, add ¼ cup flour, 1 tbsp at a time. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and leave for 1-2 hours.
- For the filling: Heat butter in a pan over medium-high. Drain apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Cook until softened. Add TOP apple cider and continue until liquid is reduced by half.
- Leave aside to cool.
- For the pies: Put dough on a floured surface. Roll a rectangle of 1,5 cm thickness. Lay ¾ of apples on dough and roll in a long tube.
- Turn dough vertically towards you and lay the rest of the apples. Roll and gently press until you have a ‘snail’.
- With a rolling pin make a rectangle. Stuff any apple that gets away back in the dough during the procedure.
- Cut dough in squares so that you get 12 apple pies.
- Lay a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange apple pies in it. Cover with wrap and leave for 30 minutes.
- For the glaze: Sift confectioner’s sugar in a medium bowl. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix.
- Leave aside. If it starts getting thick, microwave for 10 seconds.
- For the apple pies: Heat olive oil in a large pot and lay a rack with kitchen paper.
- Put 3-4 pies in the pot, fry for 30-60 seconds until brown and turn on the other side for another 30-60 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on rack. Continue with all the apple pies.
- Let cool for a while and drizzle with the glaze. Serve immediately.