INGREDIENTS 2 cups flour 4 cups fine semolina 1 ½ cup Horio Classic olive oil 2 cups walnut kernel ½ cup sugar ½ cup brandy ½ tea spoon clove powder ½ tea spoon cinnamon 1 tea spoon baking powder 1 tea spoon soda 1 orange (the zest and the juice) ½ cup walnut for sprinkle
INGREDIENTS For the syrup:
INGREDIENTS 1 orange peel 2 cups sugar 2 cups honey 2 cups of water 1 cinnamon stick
- In a mixer, beat Horio Classic olive oil and the sugar for about 5 minutes until homogenized.
- When the mixture turns pale white, add the brandy and the soda dissolved in the juice, the baking powder, the zest and the cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and while working it by hand, add gradually the semolina and the flour (already mixed with each other)
- Knead until the mixture turns into homogenized tight dough.
- Thickly chop the walnuts and spice them with some cinnamon.
- With your palm, open small dough sheets, fill them with some walnuts and mold them gently to cover the walnuts with the dough.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Put the melomakarona in a baking tray layered with greaseproof paper, pierce each one with a fork and bake them for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- To make the syrup, boil all the ingredients in a pot: water, the sugar, the orange peel and the cinnamon stick. Boil for about 5 more minutes. Add the honey, remove the pot from heat and let it cool.
- When the melomakarona are baked, use a slotted spoon to dip them in the syrup for 1 minute. Put them in a platter and sprinkle with ground walnuts.