- Separate the eggs whites from the egg yolks
- Beat the egg whites into a meringue and store in the refrigerator
- In your mixing bowl add the Horio Butter Corfu Type and the sugar and beat until fluffy
- Add the egg yolks to the mixer and continue beating until they have been absorbed into the mixture. Add the chopped walnuts and the breadcrumbs.
- Dissolve the baking powder in the cognac and then add to the mixture.
- Add all the spices and continue mixing for 2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add the meringue into the bowl, slowly and gently fold the mixture together.
- Brush the pan with Horio cow butter and empty the bowl’s content into the pan, baking at 180ο for approximatley 45 minutes.
- Check if the walnut pie is ready by poking the center of the dough with a knife. If it comes out dry, the cake is ready.
- While the cake bakes, you may make the syrup
- In the water boil the sugar and citrus zest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Allow the syrup to cool until luke warm and when the cake is out of the oven pour the syrup, slowly and carefully, and allow the walnut pie to absorb the syrup for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut and serve on a platter.
Note: Opt for a non-stick pan for your convenience.